New to Yoga
New to yoga
Welcome to The Yoga Sanctuary, we are excited that you have chosen to begin your yoga journey. We understand that choosing your first yoga class can be daunting, we want to make it as easy as possible for you to choose your first class.
We offer a range of beginner classes called Absolute Beginners, in either English or Spanish. We believe in teaching from the foundations up. We have designed a special curriculum to give you the confidence to join any Yoga Sanctuary Class. We offer a variety of styles and approaches all under one roof, so you can find a style that suits you. Whether you are looking to increase your flexibility, build some strength or reduce pain Absolute Beginners is the place to begin.
If you have any questions or are curious about what we do, come and pay us a visit. Meet our friendly team, we will show you around the centre and introduce you to other students, this way there will be some familiar faces when you come to your first class.
Absolute Beginners- Firm Foundations
Yoga 101 get ready to take your first step onto a yoga mat, these are beginner classes - perfect if you are new to yoga. In every class you will learn a series of postures, one by one. We will break down into approachable segments where you will learn to explore breath, alignment and how to make shapes and move your body with ease.
Meditation - The Wild Mind
Meditation classes allow you to explore your inner world. By observing the natural states and changes in our emotions you will learn valuable practices to help you self create the world of your choice. You will feel calm, present and centred.
Restorative - Rest & Reset
Restorative yoga is a refuge from the fast pace of daily life. Rejuvenate your nervous system and cultivate balance from a busy lifestyle and intense exercise. During these classes your body will be gently supported by props, holding you in a restful, comfortable position. You will feel mentally recharged, rejuvenated and refreshed.
HIIT Yoga - Sculpt and Sweat
HIIT Yoga combines High Intensity Interval Training with Traditional yoga postures. Refine your four most important fitness modalities: cardio, core, strength and mobility. You will work up to sweat, build long, strong muscle and stretch all in one class! You will feel empowered, strong and fit.
Before Your Class
- You’ll need to use a yoga mat, we offer free mats for you to use, so you don’t need to rush out and buy one unless you want to! Having your own mat has the obvious hygiene benefits and may encourage you to practice what you have learned at home.
- Try to wear fitted, yoga-style clothing. This helps your teacher to assess your alignment in poses, especially your knees, hips and spine. Light layers are recommended to adjust for temperature changes during and after class.
- It is best not to eat a few hours before a class or have something very light.
- Bring a drink. We have a water fountain so you can fill up your bottle when you get here
- If you have any health concerns please consult your doctor prior to participating.
What to expect
- Be prepared to practice in bare feet, socks are welcome during relaxation and can be worn around the studios.
- You will be required to complete a short health questionnaire, just to help us look out for you.
- Please use good hygiene and avoid strong perfumes as we will do some breathing exercises at the beginning of class.
- Classes begin with a relaxing meditation to bring your mind into your body. You will move through a gentle warm up and then your teacher will show you a breakdown of different poses and help you do them. To finish you will rest in a deep relaxation pose to allow your body to integrate what it just learned.